Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Madeleine McLaughlin, The Mountain City Bronzes




AUTHOR: Madeleine McLaughlin
BOOK TITLE: The Mountain City Bronzes
GENRE: Horror
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I always planned to be a full-time writer but I've found when you begin to write when you're older, the habits of a lifetime intrude. I do write every day but I also have to do chores and take care of the people in my life. When you start writing when you're young, you are better able to put all your time into it. At least that's my take. It just means I write shorter things.


When and why did you begin writing?

I worked many kinds of jobs but when I stopped working, I wanted to have something to do. I took various correspondence courses and decided that writing was the best because I could do it from home. Besides, I had been writing bits and pieces since childhood and kept a journal, so it was natural to choose writing.


What was the toughest criticism given to you? What was the biggest compliment?

When I was a student, I loved to use archaic words. My feeling was that readers would love to be given a chance to learn some new/old words. One word I loved was 'thowless' an archaic Scottish word meaning 'listless'. So I put it in this sentence. 'The thowless sky held gray hands aloft and winds tumbled restlessly under them.' Just to be told by my teacher that readers would put down any book that contained words they didn't understand. How did I change? No more archaic words.


Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it?

I learned not to skimp in the research.


Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?

I am published by MuseItUp Publishing. I found them because I have an account with Critique Circle, a website where you can post your writing to get critiques on it. Another member of the site was bragging (on the brag thread) about being published by MIU so I thought I'd send in a story. That was in 2010. Beggar Charlie will be my second story published by them.


What are your current projects?

I'm going to be releasing a new e-book this summer entitled Beggar Charlie. I'm really looking forward to it, it's my first foray into writing for young people.


How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

My blog is Madeleine's World, you can find it at http://madworldca.blogspot.com


What genre do you write in and why?

The Mountain City Bronzes is a horror story but I'll try any genre if I have a good idea.


Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process?

As of yet, I have not outlined, I just have it in my head and see where it goes but I can definitely see a use for outlining especially if you want to do a murder mystery. One day I would like that so I'm doing an outline for that.


What comes first: the plot or characters?

Both can be true, for me, they usually come at the same time because the character will tell you what kind of story you're writing. The Mountain City Bronzes has a child as the MC. That is integral to the way the story unfolds.


Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I pity Chester and Lorne and think their predicament is all too common. I won't explain further, you'll have to read the story to find out what I mean.


How long does it take to write a book, and what is your process?

It can take years to write a book. I'm currently working on a big novel which has been at least four years in the making and I have a long way to go.


What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun?

If it's fiction, I like beautiful prose, if it's non-fiction, I want to learn something.


Describe your writing space.

I write in a great, big comfy chair right in front of the television. It's by the window so I can see out.




BUY LINK: https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore/index.php/museitup/horror-dark-fiction/the-mountain-city-bronzes-detail

Synopsis: Kevin is a ten year old boy who worships his father, the town jailer. He plays inside the jail everyday and is curious about a locked door he finds. He pesters his father to tell him why it's locked and when his father finally does, Kevin learns about secrets and evil right near to him



1 comment:

  1. Real life always gets in the way of our writing, doesn't it? It's often hard to find a balance but sounds like you have!

    ReplyDelete