Monday, January 5, 2015

Scott Springer, Bound by Blood




Title: Bound by Blood
Author: Scott Springer
Publisher: Anaiah Press



What genre do you write in and why?

I write Inspirational Romantic Suspense. Since this is a three-part genre, there are three reasons why. Romance is great escapism. I love to lose myself in the characters as they fall for each other. I’ve been in new love three times in my life, and the feeling is pure exhilaration. I read and write romance to recall that excited nervousness. Speaking of nerves, I also like suspense for the tingling fear factor, at least in fiction. In real life I prefer to stand on solid ground. To those characters in horror stories that descend the stairs into the dark basement—that’s not me. I’d run the other way. Lastly, inspirational means the character has a faith element, and this affects her decisions. Maintaining belief while facing the dark is an internal conflict that adds depth to the story.


Tell us about the current book you’re promoting.

BOUND BY BLOOD is Julia and Rick’s story. As a teenager she got involved in drugs and ran away from home. Now at twenty-two she has her life back in order and has found the Lord; but her good life is threatened when her brother returns, strung out on meth and willing to use her guilt to involve her with his crazy drug deal. Meanwhile, Rick Mercado is surprised by the real feelings he has for Julia. As she slips into the world of street crime his protective instincts sink him as well.

Which characters were the hardest to develop and why?

Julia was difficult to develop because she makes her own problems and came off initially as too stupid to live. After the first draft I trunked the work because she seemed unredeemable. Why was she allowing herself to be drug into danger like this? In my mind I knew the answers and they were genuine, but on the page she came off as unsympathetic. Fortunately I stayed true to my belief in the story and Anaiah Press did see the promise. Through multiple revisions with their editors I have managed to make her psychology known and understandable. Suspense is easy if a character is acting on primal instinct. Even I in real life would descend those stairs into the dark basement if I were doing so to save my child. To Julia, her need is just as strong, but also more complex.

How did you decide how your characters should look?

This is what I like to do about my characters. I Google images until I find someone I like, and then I use those as inspiration. Rick in my mind looks like a young Lou Diamond Phillips. Julia I altered a little after the cover art came out. Isn’t that girl on the cover beautiful? And those eyes. Awesome!

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you?  Why or why not?

Yes they do. I consider myself a method writer. When I’m transcribing a scene I’m totally emerged in it, so much so that I sometimes quip: Writing is easy, just close your eyes and describe what you see. Actually though, it should be describe what you feel. I’m not comfortable with cruelty. I don’t read or write torture. Just won’t go there in my mind. As far as sex scenes, well, I live in a small town. If I wanted to do them I would have to move to New York City, and that’s not happening!

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?

BOUND BY BLOOD, my debut, was released by Anaiah Press this September!




Bound By Blood by Scott Springer
Romance, Anaiah Press


Blurb:

Julia has accepted the Lord and is busy returning her life to order. She is not ready for love, especially when the new site foreman at work stirs up forgotten feelings. She knows a playboy when she sees one, but to Rick Mercado the attraction between them is surprisingly real. Other girls no longer interest him, and if she wants to play hard to get that's fine with him. Let the games begin!

What he doesn't realize is that her dangerous secret is not a game.

Julia's brother has returned from the street, strung out and in trouble with rival gangs. Loyalty to her brother draws Julia deeper into a world of drug deals and thugs. Rick doesn't understand why Julia won't simply go to the cops, especially once the bullets start flying. As Julia slips further into a world of violence, Rick realizes how easily his heart can be broken. His brain says to run, but his heart isn't listening. It may already be too late.

BOUND BY BLOOD. Love and suspense, heartfelt moments and guns a blazing.

What a killer combination!


Release Date: September 23, 2014

Book Links:

Buy Links:


Rafflecopter (only open to US residents):



Author Bio:

Scott Springer spent his youth playing pretend and dreaming of being a writer. As an adult he worked as a carpenter before becoming a software developer. Having produced much, his two children remain his proudest accomplishment. His wife led him to the Lord, and he’s glad that she did.





2 comments:

  1. Glad writing's easy for someone! I'm one of those who unfortunately follows the "Sit down at the keyboard and slit a vein" theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch!
      Actually, when I say it's easy, that's just a joke - you and I both know there's nothing easy about it.

      Delete