Monday, February 9, 2015

Renee Donne, Hunter




AUTHOR: Renee Donne
BOOK TITLE: Hunter
GENRE: YA
PUBLISHER: Anaiah Press, LLC

Please tell us about yourself.

            First, I would like to thank you for having me as your guest today.
            I live on the west coast of Florida, and do most of my writing from my home, looking out at the beautiful coastal scenery.
            I am here today to talk about my book, Hunter, which is soon to be released by Anaiah Press.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

            I am a full-time writer. I try to devote at least three hours a day to writing, spending the mornings putting my thoughts into the written word. I schedule my days so that I have the late morning and afternoon for every-day life activities, and then, in the evening, I will review the morning’s progress. Of course, sometimes when things are coming together, I might spend the whole day writing.

When and why did you begin writing?

            I guess I have always wanted to write. I have loved books as long as I can remember. In my early teens, I would write short stories and poems. In school, I had a great Language Arts teacher who believed in me and became my mentor.

What inspired you to write your first book?

            My first book, Runaway, is a historical romance. I have always loved westerns. The old west can be a very romantic setting, with damsels in distress and dashing cowboy heroes.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?

            Well, as a writer it is hard to turn off my thoughts completely. I never know when something might inspire me, or the scene I am looking for might just suddenly come together in my mind.
            That being said, when I am not writing, I enjoy relaxing on the beach, curling up with a good book, or getting together with friends.

What are your thoughts about promotion?

            My publisher has assigned a dedicated PR team to promote and publicize my books. Of course, I will also play an active role in the promotion, and appreciate your having me here today. I feel it is important to promote myself, through interviews and blogs, as well as the book.

What was the toughest criticism given to you? What was the biggest compliment?

            My toughest criticism was the lack of character development. While I knew and found it easy to identify with my characters, I didn’t develop them enough for my readers to feel as involved.
            The biggest compliment is that some of the reviewers of Runaway said they liked my writing style.

Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?

            I have determined to spend more time on my characters, adding scenes that would give more character insight instead of just getting on with the events of the story.




Tell us about the current book you’re promoting.

            Hunter is a YA spec-fic. The heroine, Hunter, has just moved with her mother across country, to her grandfather’s ranch in Wyoming.  Her new home is just a few miles from the secluded hiking trail where her father died when she was a baby.
She meets Logan, the handsome veterinary assistant at the animal clinic where she lands an after-school job. And he seems just as interested in her as she is in him.
            As Hunter begins to settle into her new home, she learns more about the circumstances surrounding her father’s tragic death, and it may not have been the accident everyone believes. Something dangerous lurks in the woods, and Hunter might be the next victim.

What genre do you write in and why?

            I don’t consider myself restricted to any one genre. I love all genres and my story ideas show that.

Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process?

            I do outline. Usually I have an idea and main character, and as the story starts to form, I create an outline. The outline may change or be added to as the story develops.

What comes first: the plot or characters?

            I think the story idea comes first, but the main character develops almost simultaneously. Then the plot develops as other characters are added.

Did your book require a lot of research? If so, what kind?

            Yes, actually. I needed to make sure that the town I chose was a small town near Native American lands, and had the terrain that was necessary to the story.

What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun?

            Interesting characters and a plot that makes me think.

What, if anything, bugs you when you read a novel?

            Timeline issues. I once read a romance novel where the main character did not meet the love interest until more than halfway through the book.


1 comment:

  1. I must agree that it's hard to turn off our writing hats! Even when we're doing something as mundane as grocery shopping, we're still taking in the appearances and conversation around us, ready to jump on something to use later in our stories!

    ReplyDelete