Monday, March 9, 2015

Deborah Lloyd, Believe and it is True: A Story of Healing and Life Lessons




AUTHOR: Deborah Lloyd           
BOOK TITLE: Believe and it is True: A Story of Healing and Life Lessons
GENRE: Nonfiction; Mind, Body, Spirit
PUBLISHER: John Hunt Publishing

Please tell us about yourself. 

I am a Hoosier, having grown up on a farm in Indiana. At the age of three years, I was stricken with polio and have always walked with a severe limp and had physical limitations. In the mid-90s, I experienced post-polio syndrome; my most troubling symptom was chronic fatigue. Although I lived a traditional life, I opened up to alternative methods of healing after experiencing Reiki energy healing sessions. Not only is the fatigue gone, but I also experienced other physical improvements – and more importantly, emotional and spiritual growth.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?  

I am a part-time writer. I work fulltime as a hospice home care social worker. This work has been the most fulfilling of my career, as I have the honor of walking alongside people during this most vulnerable and emotional time. I also am a Reiki Master and provide healing sessions and do trainings. As you can see, the chronic fatigue is gone, as I have a very busy life!

When and why did you begin writing? 

I have always loved to read and in the back of my mind, always wondered if I could write a book. I have always enjoyed writing, but in the past it was usually in the form of journaling. Journaling is simply freewriting where you write any thoughts that come to mind. It is a great way to figure out solutions to life’s problems. Journaling also meant “for my eyes only.” Although writing a book always felt exciting for me, I had no idea what I could write about!  

What inspired you to write your first book? 

Truly, I am an ordinary woman who has had some extraordinary experiences. It is amazing to have a strong belief system for over 50 years – and then changing it when unbelievable things started to happen…As I experienced physical, emotional and spiritual healing, I knew I had to share it with others who struggle to find healing in their own lives.

What are your thoughts about promotion? 

Writing a book is truly part I of the process; marketing is the big part II!! This has been a huge learning curve for me, as well as for many other authors. Networking with other authors, in person and on the Internet, has been helpful to me, as we share our ideas of what works well. Nowadays, having a social media presence is essential. This includes having a website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, doing interviews such as this one, writing articles and blogs, blogtalk radio shows, etc., etc. For me, selling books is not the main focus. My purpose is to educate others on the unlimited possibilities of healing; if they decide to buy a copy of my book, good. If not, that’s ok too. I hope they have learned something that will be helpful to them.

Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it? 

While writing my book, I learned how important it was to set aside quiet time just for writing. I actually scheduled 2-hour appointment blocks in my calendar, and I did not check emails or get on Facebook, or doing anything else. I closed the door to the office, left my phone in another room, and instructed my husband not to interrupt me, except in an emergency. Between writing sessions, my mind often went to what I would be writing next….so, when I sat down at my computer, the words seemed to flow effortlessly. I also spent time with re-reading and editing what I had previously written during those special appointment times.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? 

Truly, I did not know where to begin! So, I did an Internet search on the question, “how to find a publisher.” The best piece of advice I found was to look at the publishers of the books you owned, in the same genre. Then, go to each website and read the submission guidelines for books. My publisher’s website clearly articulated an openness to new authors; others clearly stated a preference for established authors. It was an exciting moment when the contract was sent to me!

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

I am happy to share ways to find me and learn more about energy healing. My website is: www.deblloydhealing.com



Tell me a little about your book. 

My book is the story of my own healing journey. This includes the transformation of expanding my traditional beliefs to a holistic perception of the mind, body, spirit aspects of my being. Along the way, I learned many life lessons. Each chapter has a life lesson attached to that portion of my journey. The life lessons are truly applicable to anyone who wants to heal any aspect of themselves – mind, body and/or spirit.

What do you hope readers will take away from your book? 

The main message of my book is that healing is possible in any situation. So often, we think we cannot change a problem, because we have lived with it for many years, or other people are involved. What I have learned is that the first step to wholeness is changing that belief. When we believe change is possible, and we become open to that reality, the right person, book, or idea will appear in our lives. We have the choice to follow that inspiration – or not.

What is the toughest part about being a non-fiction writer, and how do you get past it? 

The hardest part was sharing such intimate thoughts about my own journey! How I worked through it was to accept the fact that my story may truly help other people. If some people had negative judgments about it, I would have to accept it. Fortunately, I have only received positive feedback; but, I know those who do not believe in these possibilities will probably not be drawn to this book!

What draws you to non-fiction writing? 

I am always drawn to true-life stories, whether it is a book or a movie. I often learn life’s hardest lessons through others’ stories and feel encouraged by others’ strength, resilience and perseverance. When we share our stories, we help each other with life’s difficulties.

Do you have an agent and do you feel an agent is necessary for non-fiction? 

Being a first-time author, I did not know if I should have an agent or not. I did a lot of reading on the topic – from books on writing and publishing, to blogs, to other author’s websites. I also talked to a few authors that I knew. There are many opinions on which is the better route; there are pros and cons for either choice. So, I decided I would give myself one year to try to find a publisher on my own. I looked for a publisher that gives some support, especially to first-time authors. Fortunately, I found the right publisher and was offered a publishing contract within a few months. I do not believe there is one right way, or a wrong way – every author should pursue the course that feels comfortable for her or himself.

What do you do when you’re not writing? 

Besides my work life that I described above, I love spending time with family and friends. Our children and grandchildren live in other states, and we visit them often. My husband and I also make sure we take at least one trip a year, just for us. We love visiting new places and learning about new cultures, visiting historical sites, and seeing beautiful places. I see myself as a lifelong learner and truly enjoy learning through traveling.

What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun? 

This question is a good one for me, because my natural inclination is to read non-fiction spiritual, or metaphysical, books. But, I also enjoy reading, just for fun! I make sure I have a fictional book every second or third book I read. I love a really interesting novel that has a message, or teaches me about a historic time and place, or another culture. One of the richest aspects of our country is the free library system – what a joy it is to walk into a place with thousands of books, and I can read anything I want – for free. And, I buy a fair number of books – inexpensive entertainment. We live in an amazing time.

1 comment:

  1. I admire you. I think it would take a special kind of person to be able to work with hospice patients. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete