Monday, June 15, 2015

Kristy Woodson Harvey, Dear Carolina


AUTHOR: Kristy Woodson Harvey
BOOK TITLE: Dear Carolina
GENRE: Women’s Fiction
PUBLISHER: Berkley/Penguin
BUY LINK: http://bit.ly/1KWQwwW, http://amzn.to/1yG4LkQ


Please tell us about yourself. 
Hi, everyone! Thanks so much for having me, Penny! I’m a wife and mom from North Carolina, and I am so excited to be a debut novelist as well! Writing is my passion, but I also love interior design, yoga, cooking, and, of course, reading!

Please tell us your latest news. 
I’m so excited because I have recently gotten a second book deal for a new novel that should be released toward the beginning of 2016.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? 
I’m technically a full-time mom, but my son is in pre-school four mornings a week now, so those three hours are a whirlwind! I’m a design blogger, (www.mydesignchic.com) have an author blog, regularly contribute to Houzz, Domino magazine and The Salisbury Post, and am always working on a novel, so that time is so precious! I have a wonderful husband who usually takes over daddy duty and affords me a little writing time on the weekends. Somehow it all works out, and it’s the perfect combination of getting to pursue my passions and still spend a ton of quality time with my little guy.

When and why did you begin writing? 
I think I’ve always been writing. I remember being small and carrying around notebooks writing stories. I had my first newspaper internship when I was sixteen, and I was hooked! I went to journalism school and fully intended to be a journalist. The novel writing was a bit of a surprise, but I am totally in love with it. I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? 
My publisher is Berkley/Penguin, and I connected with them in a really fun way! I submitted Dear Carolina to the TARA writing contest, and I won. The final judge is my now editor. My agent was crucial in connecting all the dots between the win and deal, but it seemed like such a cool way to get a book deal. It was totally unexpected!

What do you plan for the future? 
I love freelance writing, so I’d like to keep exploring opportunities there, but, mostly, I want to do everything I can to keep writing novels and getting them published. Being an author is a dream come true, and I don’t want the dream to end!

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.? 



Tell us about the current book you’re promoting. 
Dear Carolina is written from a birth mother and adoptive mother about the ways their lives change in the year after the birth of their daughter. At it’s core, though, it’s really a story about two women and how they change each other’s lives completely.

Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process? 
No! I usually get an idea for a character and then a scene. And wherever that scene is, beginning middle or end, is where I begin. There’s a lot of shuffling chapters around after that!

What comes first: the plot or characters? 
The characters! I get the ideas for the characters and it’s like they write their own story. It’s amazing!

How long does it take to write a book, and what is your process? 
When I’m concentrating on a new work in progress, I try to be very scheduled. I write 2,000 words a day, and it usually takes me about two months to get the draft down. But that’s the easy part! Then I edit for a couple of months. Then I start a new WIP and come back to the former one a couple of months later and edit all over again. It’s so fun for it to feel like a brand new book. I’ve forgotten some things and am surprised at different points.

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release? 
My debut, Dear Carolina, came out May 5, 2015, and my second novel will be released some time early 2016.

What advice would you give a new writer starting out? 
You have to be dedicated, determined and a little creative on the road to publication. There’s going to be rejection along the way, but that ultimate “yes” feels so amazing!

What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun? 
I will read anything. But, when I can’t put it down, I know I’m loving it!

Describe your writing space. 
This topic always makes me laugh. I have this beautiful desk at our house that my husband treated me to for my birthday, overlooking the water. But, in honesty, I write in the line for preschool pickup, in the front seat of the car when my son falls asleep unexpectedly, in Starbucks, in the library, on the couch… I am so fortunate that I can pretty much write anywhere, any time. If not, there’s no way I could make this work!


Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this wonderful series! I am so excited about the release of this novel and so grateful for the help in sharing it with the world!

1 comment:

  1. Good advice for writers! Your book sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete