Monday, August 17, 2015

Charles Suddeth, Experiment 38





AUTHOR: Charles Suddeth
BOOK TITLE: Experiment 38
GENRE: New Adult (YA) thriller
PUBLISHER: 4RV Publishing
BUY LINKS:

Please tell us your latest news: 
My mystery, Eighth Mask, Library Tales Publishing, will be released June 12, 2015.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? 
I write full-time and write/edit daily, editing as I go.

When and why did you begin writing? 
I started writing when I was 11. I was always interested in stories, even when I listened to music I wanted music with stories.

What inspired you to write your first book? 
Halloween Kentucky Style, my first published book, has some childhood experiences woven together to make an adventure story about a group of fictional characters in Halloween 1959.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Not even thinking about writing? I am widowed, so I date. I still like music that tells a story.

What are your thoughts about promotion? 
Hard question. Online social media. Develop relationship with bookstores and writer’s groups. Trailers are good, if you know how, but I don’t.

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it? 
I seldom suffer from writer’s block, but I have two cures: First, I go hiking in Tom Sawyer State Park, a quarter-mile from house. Second, I meditate, which I usually do if the story bogs down.

Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it? 
I always learn from writing books. I live in Louisville, but my book takes place in North Carolina. Although I’ve visited the state many times, I used Google images, examined maps, and talked to North Carolina natives.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? 
4RV Publishing. Found their name on Children’s Book Insider.

What is your marketing plan? 
I have a marketing plan tailored for each book, because I write in varying genres and for age groups from picture book to adult.

What are your current projects? Dream Flyer, a New Adult sci fi/thriller. A college senior is kidnapped and given drugs that make him dream of the past, because people are searching for Tesla’s Lost Papers.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?
Website/blog: http://ctsuddeth.com/
Twitter: @CharlesSuddeth
Any other news you’d like to share?
I signed a publishing contract for my mystery, Eighth Mask, with Library Tales Publishing. The contract includes print, eBooks, digital media, and movie rights. To be released June 12, 2015

Tell us about the current book you’re promoting.
4RV Publishing, New Adult (older YA), paperback

Eighteen-year-old Emily, small for her age, lives alone with her scientist-father and learns too late that he holds a terrible secret, one that might destroy her life.

As she and her boyfriend, Nate, try to unravel the mystery behind her father’s secret, they face danger and uncertainty.

What gave you the idea for this particular book?
I have always been interested in genetics, and I like to find situations one else has used. My late wife went to Duke and we visited the Durham area, so I set my story there.

Why did you choose to write a children’s book? 
I write anything from picture books to adult mysteries. I let the story find its genre and its audience.

Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process? 
I don’t outline, but I do need a beginning and an end. Then I do a grid/table to keep track of chapters, time, characters, location, and plot twists.

What comes first: the plot or characters? 
The initial idea comes first, but I didn’t outline, so the plot and characters developed together.

Which characters were the hardest to develop and why? 
Emily’s father was difficult to develop because he had to be a mixture of secretive, weak, but aggressive with her. Then he had to change, but not letting the reader know if the change was for the better or worse until the last minute. And the antagonists are always hard, because I am always tempted to make them evil instead of multi-dimensional.

What do you do when you’re not writing? 
I’m a widower. I date!

What, if anything, bugs you when you read a novel? 
People who don’t get science/historical facts right. People who use modern words like Epicenter in a 19th century context.


Describe your writing space. I write everywhere: kitchen, Tom Sawyer State Park, mall, coffees shops, even my car.




Experiment 38

Experiment 38 (young adult thriller, 4RV Publishing, paperback)

Eighteen-year-old Emily lives with her scientist-father and knows nothing about her mother. When Emily dates Nate, two men in a Lincoln Navigator follow them. After Nate discovers her mother’s identity, the two men kidnap Emily, but her father doesn’t try to save her. When Nate’s rescue fails, she tries to escape on her own.

Her father holds a secret about her past. Are the two men working for him? Will Nate rescue her? Why do the two men want her? Can she escape and have a normal life?

ISBN: 78-1-940310-02-2

1 comment: