Monday, August 10, 2015

Jason L. Bradshaw, Beneath Creek Waters



AUTHOR: Jason L. Bradshaw
BOOK TITLE: Beneath Creek Waters
GENRE: New Adult Fiction, Action/Adventure
PUBLISHER: Mystic Harbor Press

What inspired you to write your first book?
I had the concept of the storyline back in 2009, I had toyed with the idea of turning it into a novel until a good friend of mine finally inspired me to take the next step and just jump right into it. I had written small pieces before but didn’t think I was ready to take on a full length novel. After doing quite a bit of research (hours upon hours!) I just started typing, and the rest is history, I never realized how much I would enjoy putting the stories together and developing characters.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
I am a husband and a father of two crazy boys, so the family life keeps me pretty busy, we all enjoy getting out and exploring new things together, riding mountain bikes and going to the coast whenever possible. I love the outdoors and anything that comes with getting out there and exploring is what I enjoy; I am an avid SCUBA diver and surfer; I also ride my mountain bike on new trails when I get the chance. I will typically carry the book I’m reading in tow, as well!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
My publisher is Mystic Harbor Press; they have been an outstanding group of people to get the chance to work with. They continue to push to get the books out there and really work hard from every angle of the business; they have come to be like part of my family. We met through a mutual friend in Houston Texas. I had already self-published my book back in 2009, but after signing with Mystic Harbor we did an abridged version of the novel and the rest is history. I could not be any happier with the outcome so far.

How can we find you?:
You can find me at the following links.
https://twitter.com/AuthorJBradshaw
I always enjoy any posts and will personally reach out to those who ask questions or comments. Upcoming news on signings and events are usually shared on all of the social media outlets. Stop in and say hi.

What are your current projects?
I recently turned in my second book of the series titled “Beneath Gulf Waters,” and now I am going to take off a few weeks to read a book, or two, that I have wanted to tackle; then I’ll switch back over to completing up a few smaller technical projects before working on some larger projects that I will begin in May.  I have also completed two action/adventure screenplays with a fellow writer and friend Todd Rodgers.

What are your plans for the future?
To keep writing for sure, I have multiple ides for new books but I am about 80% complete with the first book of a new series titled “The Hobbyist”. Once I finish The Hobbyist, I will be collaborating with another writer on a new untitled screenplay, and from there I will be rolling on another novel “White Shores” that I have outlined. I hope to do many more signings and meet a lot of readers along the way.  I have enough slated to keep me pretty busy for a while!

What genre do you write and why?
I am a huge action/adventure buff, so it really comes down to what I enjoy, what I know and feel most comfortable with. I like a lot of fast paced action, so I try to bring that out in my writing.

Tell us about the current book you are promoting:
The current book I am promotion is titled “Beneath Creek Waters.” It follows two young,  up and coming treasure hunters through Southeast Texas in their search to locate a famous, yet scant, Texas “S”coin treasure. The book flashes between current times and the mid 1800’s. Here is the blurb: In 1845, 200 gold coins were minted to commemorate Texas’ entry into the United States. Slated to be given to all major players that helped Texas into the Union, the coins were loaded onto a wagon on rainy night near Dallas, Texas and never seen again.  Over a century later, traces of the coins resurface, after a couple of local kids stumble upon what appeared to be one, in a Southeast Texas creek. News of the find reach Parks Leslie and Stan Atcher, both treasure hunters and historians—always looking for their next big find, and long-time seekers of these coins. Parks and Stan's interest proves to be an unexpected journey, tangled with blood history ties, new friendships and near-death experiences, calling for sacrifices no one could have predicted.

Did your book require a lot of research, If so what kind?
Yes, the book has chapters that play out in the 1800’s so dialog and settings for those chapters had to be researched. I researched information about weapons, history, SCUBA diving and locations in the areas where the story took place. I also visited with the Montgomery County Historical Society at a few local sites to get some background on the area and get some additional inspiration.

What are your current books out right now and books coming up for release?
Beneath Creek Waters is currently available in stores and online. The second installment of the series “Beneath Gulf Waters” is currently in the hands of my editor, and may be ready for release at the end of this year.

What advice would you give a new writer starting out?
Get started and jump in with both feet, don’t dabble in it, get yourself a good outline and get rolling. You may be surprised of what you’re capable of. If you get stuck, talk to friends about your story and ideas, talk to other authors on the net if you don’t have direct access to them. Most will always give you some input or ideas. If you want to write a book then do it, you can. Oh yeah,  and during the writing stage work on thickening up your skin a bit, the publishing world can be a bit tough at times, not to mention critical, but use it to your advantage on how to only get better in the future!

Describe your writing space.
For the most part it’s tucked away behind my desk in my office. I am really on the go, so I don’t always get the luxury to sit and write there. I take my tablet and laptop everywhere I go, thus my space may range from an airplane, a hammock, in my vehicle or wherever I find myself. Often I get ideas when I am out so I turn all of my spaces into writing spaces!

What seven words would you use to describe yourself?

On what day—and only seven?—Kidding, here are the first that come to mind. Outgoing, active, caring, fun, loving, creative and optimistic.






In 1845, 200 gold coins were minted to commemorate Texas’ entry into the United States. Slated to be given to all major players that helped Texas into the Union, the coins were loaded onto a wagon on a rainy night, near Dallas, Texas and never seen again. Over a century later, traces of the coins resurface, after a couple of kids stumble upon what appeared to be one, in a Southeast Texas creek. News of the find reach Parks Leslie and Stan Atcher, treasure hunters and historians, always looking for their next big find, and long-time seekers of these coins. Parks and Stan's interest proves to be an unexpected journey, tangled with blood history ties, new friendships and near-death experiences, calling for sacrifices no one could have predicted.

1 comment:

  1. Thick skin is definitely a must for writers!

    Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete