Monday, October 26, 2015

Skye Malone, Touch Me





AUTHOR: Skye Malone
BOOK TITLE: Touch Me
GENRE: New Adult Paranormal Romance
PUBLISHER: Wildflower Isle

Please tell us about yourself. I am a paranormal romance and fantasy author who lives in Washington state in the United States. I’m also an avid reader, and a fan of all things fantasy and science fiction, including (and perhaps most especially) Doctor Who.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? Full-time. I try to write in the mornings, usually early, pretty much every day of the week. 

When and why did you begin writing? I began considering writing as a career in eighth grade after a wonderful English teacher gave us the assignment to write a story. I’d loved storytelling for a long time before that, however. In my childhood, my mother would make up fantasy stories, which inspired me to tell stories of my own.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? Sleep, I guess! I don’t particularly have a time when I’m not either thinking about stories or writing/editing stories. They’re always in my mind, no matter where I am or what I’m doing.

Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it?
I learn something from every book, but the most important lesson I keep learning over and over again is to trust wherever the story wants to go. Just trust it. Go with it. Every book seems to teach me that all over again, because the worst thing I can do is second guess the heck out of myself (and the story and the plot and the characters and did I do that right and oh my God, what about…). It never helps. It usually hurts. And in the end, it’s almost always turned out that the path the story wanted to pursue in the first place was actually the better road.

What are your current projects? Currently, I’m hard at work on a new series of YA paranormal romance novels featuring mermaids. These books are a follow-up to my Awakened Fate series and take place one year after that series ends. I’m also working on Touch Me, a New Adult paranormal romance serial.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.? Thanks for asking! You can find me at any of the places below. Please come by and say hi!


What genre do you write in and why? I write currently in New Adult and Young Adult, both in fantasy and paranormal romance. I love the age range that those areas provide, since both are such windows of discovery and change in a person’s life, and the opportunity to add magic into the mix is simply too much fun for me to pass up!

Tell us about the current book you’re promoting. Currently, I’m promoting the Touch Me series, which is the story of Caitlin Faire, a young woman who discovers that she is half-succubus.

What comes first: the plot or characters? It’s often a bit of both, at least in regard to the main plot and characters. They sort of develop simultaneously. With smaller, side characters, though, it’s absolutely a matter of plot. The story dictates what characters are needed.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why? It depends on the book! For the trilogy, The Children and the Blood, I loved and pitied and was sickened by the main villain, Jamison. I could sympathize with the struggle that drove him to choose the road he did, and yet ultimately, his response to the challenge he faced was terrible. For the Awakened Fate series, I adored the hell out of Ellie. I loved her shyness and quiet strength, and her actions at the end of the series were something I greatly enjoyed writing. In Touch Me, I love and pity Amar so much. He struggles to balance two worlds and all that he knows of how deadly they can be, all while falling for a girl who has thrown his own world upside down. My characters are a collection of so many emotions for me!

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you?  Why or why not? No, they don’t. I grew up on action movies, so violence isn’t really an issue for me. It can be a part of a vivid, visceral story if handled well. And sex is a part of life. Why shouldn’t fiction explore all the ways it can be wonderful, awkward, beautiful, or difficult? I believe that as long as violence or sex are there to benefit the storyline and show you something more about the characters’ personalities or life, they’re valid and valuable.

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release? Currently, I have eight novels and three novellas available.

-       The Awakened Fate series (YA paranormal romance with mermaids – completed).
-       The Children and the Blood trilogy (YA urban fantasy, non-romantic – completed).
-       The first two novella-length installments of the Touch Me series (NA paranormal romance with demons and other supernatural creatures – ongoing).

You can find them all at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Skye-Malone/e/B00KFOF4AM

The third installment of the Touch Me series will be coming soon as well! 
           
What advice would you give a new writer starting out? Trust yourself. Trust your story, your thoughts, your plans and what you enjoy. Put those first, not other people’s opinions, because if you like what you’ve written, chances are someone else out there will too.

What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun? I read just about anything, from fantasy to mystery to non-fiction. That said, I think I probably look for the same thing that most readers do: an intriguing blurb followed by a first few pages that just suck me in. The best books are the ones where I reach the end of the sample on Amazon and realize that not only have I forgotten I was reading a sample, but that I must know what happens next right now, oh my god!

Describe your writing space. My writing space is a wooden desk with Christmas lights all around the top, cloth flowers in a wine bottle to one side, and a pair of little figurines of a Dalek and the Tenth Doctor. I have corkboards and dry-erase boards behind me for notes, though usually the notes never quite make it that far, since they end up on post-its scattered nearby!




 Excerpt 

Dark eyes meet mine.
Everything slows, like the world melts into molasses and in it, I’m stuck. A guy stands in front of me, his body only inches away, and suddenly, he’s the only one in the room. The dancers fade into shadows and mist. The music is the low thrum that underscores the world. And there’s just him. Black skin, dark as I’ve ever seen. Sculpted arms hinting at a strong body, as if everything of him is muscle and sinew. He’s about my age, at least six-foot-two, and easily the most gorgeous man I’ve ever laid eyes on. And he smiles like he knows me. Like he’s saying hello.
His hand reaches out. Brushes a shadow, a girl, and shimmering mist ghosts away from her to caress his arm like a lover. His smile broadens.
The mist absorbs into his skin.
He nods to me, still friendly. Still like we’re acquaintances who’ve simply run into one another on the street. And then he’s gone into the shadows and the crowd comes rushing back again.
I gasp. Bodies buffet me on all sides, crushing me, and my exhilaration is shattered. The music is too loud. The lights spin like deranged kaleidoscopes, blinding me. I’m hot, covered in sweat, and the emerald green dress is glued to my skin. My pulse is flying but my body keeps moving like it can’t help itself, like it’s lost to the rush of swirling lasers, pounding music, and fog.
Fog that’s pouring into me.
My eyes go wide. Flecked with sparks of color and light, clouds of it rise from the dancers like mist over a pond. Tendrils stream away from those nearest to me, moving like charmed snakes to coil around my body, slipping over my dress, my skin, and then vanishing inside me.
It’s so not a fog machine. Not this. Sweet God, what’s happening?


1 comment: