Monday, December 7, 2015

Dion Lack, Voyage of Truth




AUTHOR: Dion Lack           
BOOK TITLE: Voyage Of Truth
GENRE: Fantasy, Science Fiction
PUBLISHER: LackToast Entertainment


Please tell us about yourself. My name is Dion Lack. I was born and raised in Dayton Ohio but now live in Los Angeles with my wife and two children. Even though I have written a fantasy sci fi novel, I have a strong background in comedy spanning from stand-up, sketch to improv. I’ve written scripts and commercials for many well-known comedians and helped to build a production company from the ground up.

Please tell us your latest news. I recently published my first book “Voyage of Truth,” and I plan on rereleasing it, this time in two parts. The original book will be a limited edition and will be discontinued soon.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? Yes, I am a full-time writer. I have a wonderful, supportive wife that allows me to be a stay home parent. Once I prep my 9 and 4 year old off to school, I am able to write throughout the day.

What inspired you to write your first book? Voyage of Truth was inspired by an analogy I used to help teach one of my daughters. I created a whole world and she absolutely loved it.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? One of my hidden talents is being a lyricist. I write, perform and edit rapping jingles for small businesses or events.

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it? Yes of course I get writers block. If I didn’t I would change my name to God. Lol! Usually what I do is use a software called Dragon Natural Speaking and hear my words being read back to me. This allows me to listen as a reader and edit along the way.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? I published my book through my production company LackToast Entertainment. Working through my company gave me access to more resources---mostly a second set of eyes to review my work.

What is your marketing plan? My initial plan was focused around promoting my book using videos and book trailers. I was able to share these with my email listserv and social marketing groups.  I started growing my facebook page a year before the book was published so I relied on the relationships built there. Now I want to reach newer audiences so I have to revise my strategy just a bit.

What are your current projects? As I stated before, I am about to re-release my first book in two parts. I am currently working on the second book in the series.

What do you plan for the future? I see Voyage of Truth as a series of five books. I plan to complete that. However, my dream is to see this series on the big screen.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.? My website and blog can be found at VoyageofTruth.com.  You can find me on FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram @DionLack

What do you do when you’re not writing? When not writing you can find me behind the camera directing and editing.

What seven words would you use to describe yourself? Father, Driven, Supporting, Loyal, Passionate, Trusting, Entertainer

Describe your writing space. I usually write in my bedroom where I have a wall full of index cards that outline the entire story. I have character and story notes plastered all over the place. I like to have it right in front of me.

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite? My favorite part of being an author is not having a wrong answer. This is my world that I created gives my readers an adventure, action with seeds of self-esteem. I would say the least favorite part is the marketing. Trying to stand out from my genre of fellow authors and finding my core target audience.



EXCERPT:

The headline from the evening news captures the attention of a passing lieutenant and he yells, “Hey, turn that up.” Sharlo grabs the remote and increases the volume.

Nulo hears the reporter emphasize how expensive the recent mezzanine damages are and ducks deeper into his seat.


The bar shamefully frowns at the aftermath and sighs at Nulo’s photo appearing across the screen.
Nulo hears sarcastic praise over the cro
wd’s gurgling. “Let’s give a round of applause to the heroic, super soldier eating alone over there.”

The soldiers join the drunken Lieutenant Kaphir standing in ovation and laughing. Humiliated, Nulo preps to escape the surrounded mockery and exits his booth. He pays for his half-eaten meal and maneuvers through the insensitive crowd.

Kaphir quiets the crowd and stops Nulo at the doorway. “Aww, we were just having a little fun. Where are you running off to?”

With drowsy eyes, Nulo responds, “I had a long day and I just want to head to my condo and get some sleep.”

“And you know what I want?” Kaphir asks. “An honest apology.”


Nulo now recognizes Kaphir’s face. “Come on
, now. Are you really that petty?” Kaphir’s extended silence gives Nulo his answer. Nulo bursts with frustration. “Fine, I’m sorry. I am so sorry for accidentally shooting you earlier.”

The stubborn Kaphir sucks his teeth and doesn’t accept his repentance. “Maybe I’d believe it more if you were on your knees.”

Nulo scoffs. “That’s not going to happen.”


“I think it will.”

Kaphir’s crew begins to surround Nulo. He’s outnumbered and carefully says, “Let’s not do this,
guys. I really don’t want any trouble.”

Kaphir laughs hysterically. “Who said we wanted trouble? I just want a real apology; on
e we all can believe. Now kneel.”

Nulo looks over to Sharlo behind the bar and she agrees with a light nod. Nulo contemplates an exit strategy and looks around for options.

“Time is wasting, Nulo.”

Before he can devise a plan, Nulo is kicked in the chest by the impatient Kaphir. Nulo stumbles back, but gets tossed forward by one of Kaphir’s cronies. Nulo propels through the glass entrance and slides outside of the bar. Kaphir steps through the broken doorway and walks over the shattered pieces of glass. Nulo attempts to stand, but gets kicked back down.

“Here lies the infamous, Nulo,” Kaphir says while standing over him. He grabs Nulo’s head and pushes his face into the pebbles of glass. He asks, “How does it feel? Punished and powerless just like that? It hurts, doesn’t it? I don’t care what this ship believes. You’re just another weak phage in my eyes. So the next time you feel the need to prance around here like you’re untouchable, I want you to remember my face and this moment.”

Nulo struggles and feels around for something to grab. As Kaphir stands up, laughing, he is blasted in the jaw by a brick. Kaphir falls to one knee, but bounces back invigorated.

“Woo, cheap shot from the super soldier. I should’ve known it that wasn’t easy to take you down. Let’s dance.”

Kaphir licks his bloody lip and fires up his arm cannon. Nulo pushes off the ground, but stays low. The pedestrians in the courtyard start to scatter. Nulo puts some distance between himself and Kaphir, hiding behind the crossing foot traffic and says, “We’re even.”

Kaphir pitches two shots from his AC. Nulo tucks and rolls behind a trashcan and looks for something to use as a weapon. Kaphir shuffles to get a better shot and watches Nulo creep back toward the entrance of Sharlo’s diner.

“There you are.” Kaphir opens fire and Nulo uses others as a shield. Kaphir loses sight of him and yells, “Move. Everyone get down.”

Nulo dives through the window and scrambles to take cover behind an overturned table. Sharlo tries to diffuse the situation. “Alright Kaphir, I think you’ve scared him enough.”

Kaphir snaps, “No, I haven’t.”

“You are ripping my place apart, stop this.”


“Put it on my tab. Shut up and let me do everybody a favor.”


The smoke starts to clear inside the diner and Kaphir sees Nulo hiding behind the bar in the reflection of the ceiling’s mirror. Kaphir playfully taunts Nulo as he inches towards him. “Come out, come out, wherever you are, super soldier.”
...
FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
By downloading
Voyage Of Truthby Dion Lack on Amazon.com 




1 comment: